Thursday, March 26, 2009

Shamrock Half Marathon - March 22, 2009




My second half marathon! I never thought I would say I ran one, much less two. I ran The Shamrock Half in Virginia Beach. Ed surprised me with the race and trip as a Christmas gift. I was so excited!

Let me start with our trip. We left Albany hoping for beautiful weather. Winter this year has been long and cold. Well, to our surprise we hit a snow storm on the border of New York and New Jersey. Let me tell you the snow flakes were very large, larger than any snow flake I witnessed the whole winter. The snow was sticking to the trees and visibility was getting rough but we were both very excited about arriving in VB to warmer weather and our half that some snow could not discourage us. As we drove through New Jersey entering Delaware the sun began to shine and things were looking hopeful. We both loved the ride through the different states, Delaware, Maryland and then finally into Virginia. We were finally at the Cavalier Hotel in Virginia Beach. We unloaded and then off to the Expo. We both were excited about seeing what our half marathon shirts would look like much less all of the other things there would be at the expo. We got our shirts and bought up some of the merchandise and then started back to the hotel when we both heard a strange noise coming from the car. We stopped and found out that we picked up a rock in one of our tires that was sharp enough to flatten the tire. After a quick change, we headed out to get dinner and then a walk and back to our room.

Saturday morning was the 8k run, so Ed and I headed out to watch that race and root people on. Following the 8k there was a children's run and other activities for the 8k runners. We walked around and headed to Fort Story. Fort Story is a Army base in Virginia Beach that houses two beautiful light houses. One of the light houses can be toured, all you have to do is walk up 191 steps..(good thing to do before a half marathon,) but of course we did it. It was beautiful looking over the ocean ... what a peace of mind you get looking at such beauty. We walked around base and then went to eat (pasta) and then to a local market to get our race day breakfast food(oatmeal, bananas and a bagel) and then back to our room to get ready for our big race day. We both slept very good Saturday night and were up very early Sunday morning. The race started at 7 am. We were able to sneak a peek of the moon and the stars over the ocean from our room while getting ready. The Cavalier is located at the start of the half marathon so we watched people arriving from our room. We could hear the music from the announcer stand and really started getting pumped about our race. It was time to head out to the race. This was the first race that I ran where they actually had corrals. A corral is when they start the runners in different groups according to their race pace. I was in the green coral and Ed in the blue. We said our goodbyes which I hated separating and off we were into our corrals. There were so many people that you could not help but get more excited about the race. They had the National Anthem and helicopters flew over (I think it was the local news people) and the start of the race.

My first mile I was amazed how fast it came, so many people hollering and rooting us on. It was very cool! The next two miles went fast with a beer stop and some water/gatorade stops. Things felt great as I ran more distance. We turned into the Army base (Fort Story) and more people hooting us on and another water stop. It was probably around mile seven I started feeling alittle sore but ok. I remember hearing waves from the ocean and thinking how totally awesome that was and seeing the two light houses on base. I loved that. Leaving the Army base, again so many people rooting us on, what a good feeling. I forgot to mention along the way there was a band and many DJ's. That's when I saw the beer stop again and thought "should I?" the answer " NO" I would have thrown up. But I wanted to just because Yuengling Beer was the sponsor...But I think I made the right decision...I continued on not seeing many more mile markers. That's the way I like it, not counting how many more miles I have to go. Finally I heard someone yell out " one mile to go" Boy was I thrilled to hear that but also amazed that the end was near and I was still feeling pretty good for running twelve miles. We headed to the board walk and the ocean once again..Loved that! and the into the finish line. So many people were at the finish line, so many people cheering us on, it was so cool! At the finish line they handed out lunch bags with the Yuengling beer emblem on it. In the bag was four beer coupons, a beer cup and some snacks. We also received an 13.1 finisher hat and medal at the finish. After the race we were off to the finishers tent for one big party. They served Irish Stew, all the beer you could drink and they had a rock band to dance to and of course Ed and I took them up on that. We danced and took up the day as much as possible before passing out on the beach enjoying the beautiful sun. What a great day!

No comments: