Friday, September 4, 2009

Marathon Training Is Over :( September 4, 09

I have neglected my blog for awhile because I have been just too busy, but I am hoping to update everyone on how my Marathon training is going. Needless to say…It’s over. My training was going very well. I was up to fifteen miles with Kathy. It was hard but we did it with the support of Ed following us with drinks, snacks and encouragement. Then a couple of weeks ago I went out for a six miler on a Thursday morning and the last mile I felt a pain in my right groin. I made it home and thought “this will be gone by Saturday.” I had a race on Saturday that I was looking forward to (Race the Train 8.4 miler) and another on Sunday (Indian Ladder 9.3) that I was also looking forward to. Saturday came and Ed and I headed up to North Creek for the race. We boarded the train and it took us out to the start. I lined up for the race with Ed and off we went. Two miles up a hill to start, I could feel that groin pull the whole time thinking to myself “just let me have this race.” It didn’t happen. I ended up stopping and asking the vehicle that follows the runners for a ride back to the finish. It hurt!! Ed and I headed home and I realized that there would not be any 9.3 miler the next day. I knew, I needed to rest the groin I had a half marathon in Lake George coming up in two weeks. Two days before the half, Ed suggests that I go out for a mile to make sure that my leg is ready. I was feeling some what better but not 100 %. I decided to listen and went out for the mile. I didn’t even make it a half mile and the pain was shooting through my leg. I knew that I was not running that half on Saturday. I was so upset. I went home and called my doctor’s office and got an appointment. I went to the doctor’s and he sent me for a MRI. The MRI shows that I have a stress fracture in my pelvic bone. The cure…REST for 8-12 weeks. No running! I am so disappointed! We had been planning this Marathon since March. I would finish my first marathon with Mel, Laura, Kathy, Ed and Dan by my side. We would all share that amazing feeling together. It just plain STINKS! Ok, my pity party is over..(Ok, not) but it is time for me to move on and support my friends for the rest of there training and that’s what I plan on doing. Ed and I will support them for their long runs when they need us. I will be at that finish line, rooting them on.

1 comment:

ShutUpandRun said...

Ughh...that is the worst. It is so hard to have a goal and not be able to do what you want to do. But take care of yourself and you will be back badder than ever. There will always be more races.