Friday, May 29, 2009

VT City Relay Marathon May 23rd, 2009


Where does time go? This weekend we headed off to VT for The VT City Marathon. We did not do the full marathon; We ran the five person relay with Laura, Melanie, Dan and Ed.

The weekend began with a pasta dinner at Joe’s house on Friday evening. A whole bunch of ARE runner's attended. We sat around, ate pasta and chatted on the porch for awhile and then headed home. Saturday our relay team car pooled and headed to Burlington VT. First off to the expo and then to the hotel where we met up with Joe and his crew and a short two in a half mile run. We came back and went to dinner at Junior's and then chilled for the evening. Sunday morning everyone up early and ready to run. We headed off to the start at Battery Park. We met up with all of the other runners from Albany . About 75 Albany Running Exchange runners came to Vt. A lot of these people were running the full marathon. Others running a two person relay, some a three person relay.

Laura was our first runner with a 5k. Off she went at the start. It was a rainy morning, so waiting for our relay team to come in one by one, we began to get cold. Laura came in and handed off to Melanie where Mel went out for a 5.5 mile leg, then Dan with a 6.6 mile leg and then to me. By the time I received the yellow bracelet I was freezing and soaked. All I wanted to do at that point is run to get warm or head back to the hotel and get under the covers, but that was not a choice at the time. My leg was a 5.5 mile leg. I was handed that yellow bracelet and off I went. I felt great running. I left Battery Park and headed up North Ave. Like last year I was amazed that I was running these Streets in Burlington because of my family history in Burlington . I passed the cemetery where my grand mother and many other family members are buried then the North beach entrance where we have camped and swam many times. I ran through my cousin’s old neighborhood and back onto North Ave. I ran past the trailer park we lived in while my dad was serving time in the Air Force in Libya and then by my aunt's old house. What memories! Time flew by for me. There was so much support on the course water stops, music, cheering from by standers, bubbles from young kids, it was so nice. About a mile from my hand off to Ed the sun came out…Awwwwwwwwwww…THE SUN!!! I was so happy to know that the day was going to be sunny. I came up to Flynn school where Ed was waiting for me. The pass and Ed was off. I couldn’t believe that I just ran 5.5 miles. It went so quick and I felt so amazing the whole time, what a good feeling. I waited at that leg for Kathy to finish her leg so we could run back to the finish line and watch our team mates come through the finish line. Our team did a great job with a time of 3:56:07. After the run and we headed back to our hotel and enjoyed the pool and alcohol. Did I say alcohol? The Albany Running Exchange runners took up the whole second floor of the hotel and we had one big party…It was a great weekend!

No comments: