Monday, October 13, 2008

Marine Corps Half Marathon - October 12, 2008



I did it!

Let's start with the preparation of the half marathon on Saturday. Saturday afternoon Ed and I helped with the registration and packet pick up at the Crowne Plaza in downtown Albany. That's when the excitement really started to sink in. Watching all these marathoners (about 650) and half marathoners (over 700) from all over the country coming in to pick up their packets. And I was one of them! Saturday evening, Ed and I met Melanie and Dan out for a pasta dinner at PizzaGram restaurant. We talked about the half and other races we've done or would like to do. Had a great evening and then after picking out our running clothes we went to bed. Surprisingly, I was able to get to bed early and had a good nights sleep.

Woke up Sunday morning, nervous and sick to my stomach not believing I was going to run 13.1 miles. Had my routine oatmeal and banana and packed my G2 and GU and a bagel for the road. Went to the Crowne Plaza to catch the bus to the starting line. While I was waiting, I had a cup of coffee as we watched all the other runners come in and getting ready for their big run.

Arriving at Colonie Town Park, the starting line, we met up with a lot of our running friends. Temperature was 44 degrees and we chatted, did bathroom runs and tried to keep warm while waiting for the start. The start was a quick airhorn and off I went.

The first 2.5 miles I felt incredible. Better than I have ever felt in the beginning of a run. Like I was built to run. After that, it became a little more strenuous but at a good comfort level for me. Running the bike path to Cohoes was nice and colorful with the tree leaves turning. Then I hit the Cohoes and Watervliet stretch with a couple of great downhills and water stops. My mom and my oldest son Donald were there rooting me on, taking my picture and providing me with a much needed water.

Felt good heading into the Corning Preserve, the last 4.75 miles of the run. I always thought I would like this stretch the most - running along the Hudson. This time, I found it almost boring because I was starting to feel it. I came across the 11 mile marker and that's when I had to tell myself that I could do it. I was hurting. My quads ached and my left foot hurt and it would have been easy to talk myself into walking but I didn't give up. I got to one point where I knew I was closing in on the finish and I got a second wind.

As I entered the last 2/10 of a mile, my adrenaline kicked in and I was determined to finish strong. I saw the finish and I saw another runner in front of me and I wanted to pass her before the finish line. I did and I came in under 2 hours at 1:57:49 !!!!!!!!!!!! I would've never expected to finish under 2:15. What an accomplishment.

Now that I have accomplished all of my 2008 goals, I am brainstorming on what's next. Got any ideas out there? I need a good challenge.

2 comments:

Jenn N said...

Amazing job Roxanne. You almost beat me, yikes!! I'll be looking over my shoulder for you next time.

I think you know what's up next...M-A-R-A-T-H-O-N-!-!

Congrats!!

VA Guru said...

Great accomplishment. It is medicine for the heart.
VA Loan