Tuesday, October 28, 2008

10/26: ARE's Squirrelly Six Mile





On Sunday October 26th 2008, I went out for another race. Every time I race I think WOW that was fun, but this time I thought "Oh my god was that crazy, fun, ridiculous, absurd, outrageous" There really is no one word to describe the excitement I had for this run. Sometimes I think " Roxanne, your forty-five what the hell are you doing?" Then , I realize "I'm enjoying life!" We started the day very early...(5:30) eating breakfast and getting Ed in his vampire makeup. We headed up to Thatcher State Park to help out with registration. People started coming in dressed up as Scarecrows, Tin Men, Dorothy, Frogs, Witches, 80's girls, Gorillas, Chainsaw man, Brides, of course a Squirrel and many other strange characters. As race time came closer, I started to prepare. I changed out of my winter coat and sweat pants into my shorts. I did a short warm up run, then got ready for the start. Walking to the start, Ed told me to toe the line. What does that mean you ask? You actually get to the front and put your toes on the start line. So I did....(LOL)
Ok.....now lets talk about Josh. Josh is the founder of Albany Running Exchange. He is an amazing machine...I call him a machine because he never stops amazing me. He is a computer teacher, a runner, a dancer, and just a jack of all traits. He makes every ARE event something you want to be apart of. (Back to the race) He did this incrediable start song and then off we went. I laughed in the beginning...remember, I was toeing the line. All of the fast, young runners went by me in a flash...Within the first mile of this run I was soaked. Yep, soaked! We ran through puddles that came up past my knees. My first intial thought was "Oh my god , my toes are frooze." then, they would warm up. I ran through other large puddles and so much mud. As we ran creatures jumped out and scared us. We ran up very large hills (which I walked up) and then through more mud and puddles. (toes freezing again) When you are tring not to fall in mud you use different muscles that you don't normally use when running. Then we came to the finish line...at the finish line there were many people waiting for their runner's to come in, including our own Gorilla...(Frank) Once we finished, off we went to a fabulous cookout and prizes. We also got to enjoy the beautiful day with people we have have meant through running. What an awesome day...Thanks Josh!

1 comment:

PAT said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.