Monday, January 19, 2009

Brave The Blizzard 2009










My first time in snow shoes and it was a 3.90 mile race. I heard snow shoeing was fun but running in them..........MAJOR WORK! ARE hosted their 5th annual Brave the Blizzard snow shoe race. Being the crazy, stupid, adventurous person that I am, I signed up. The first two minutes into the race, I thought, what am I doing? I will never be able to finish this race! My heart was pounding and my legs were already sore. I slowed down a little and went up the first hill and walked a few minutes. Caught my breath and started finding it easier to run on the packed trails. A 1/4 of the mile into the race I found a partner to pace with which made it so much easier. It was so pretty in the woods. The snow was falling and the pine trees looked beautiful covered in snow. Very spiritual! Finally feeling good. Breathing back to normal, amazed that I wasn't dead, the finish was in sight. Coming down the last hill I could hear people rooting me on ... especially Ed who was working the finish line for ARE. I came though just under an hour. What an experience. Every race has food. This one had all you can eat pancakes - all flavors. And after that workout, I tried them all! NO GUILT!!!

1 comment:

Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Hey Roxanne,

Long time reader, first time commenter. We run alot of the same races.

I actually saw you at this race (we were right in front of you in the pancake line). I wanted to say 'hi' but 1) I didn't know if your blog was "secret" and I would accidentally out you to your friends, and 2) I figured you would think I was a crazed running blog stalker and immediately smack me in the head with a snowshoe.

But I agree it was a great race. My first on snowshoes too! I had about 50 pancakes afterwards. :)

We're running the Polar Cap 4 Miler next weekend in Lake George.

See you at the races. I'll be brave and say hi next time.